Source: Emma McIntyre/Getty Images
If you’re not yet familiar with the newest makeup trend, then let us introduce you to ‘mewy’ – when your skin’s looking dewy AF in all the right places and perfectly mattified in others. As slaying as this sounds, since it’s two completely different finishes, dewy and matte, it takes just the right makeup steps to get the look perfect. Here’re our top tips to help you nail one of 2018’s sexiest beauty trends.
1. Prep your skin: The key to perfecting this look is to prep your skin properly: start by cleansing, and then gently exfoliate. By exfoliating, you’ll give your skin a silky smooth base, and your moisturizer will also be more efficiently absorbed, and therefore better hydrated. We like to give our skin a quick spritz of our fav facial mist for an extra hit of hydration before we moisturize.
2. Prime: Possibly the most important product for this makeup look is a good primer. We like to use a mattifying primer on our T-zone and areas that we get oily, and a hydrating primer around our jawline and any areas our skin tends to be drier. If you don’t have both, opt for a mattifying primer, and you’ll be able to add that glow to specific areas with makeup later.
A post shared by V I V I ‘ S M A K E U P (@vivis_makeup) on May 11, 2018 at 1:00am PDT
3. Airbrush your foundation: To ensure your base is perfectly blended, use a damp beauty sponge to gently pat your foundation on – we love the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge, $11. Opt for a light to medium coverage foundation for a more natural look, or if you prefer more coverage, you can combine your foundation with a drop of primer. To brighten your under eyes, use a satin finish concealer for a more fresh finish.
4. Use a cream highlighter: We’re firm believers that there’s no such thing as too much highlighter. But, when it comes to mewy makeup, it’s all about getting the balance just right. Lightly dab a cream highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose, your Cupid’s bow, and underneath the brow bone. Look for a cream highlighter that has similar undertones to your skin, for a subtle, lit-from-within glow.
A post shared by Christina Nadin (@christinanadin) on Apr 24, 2018 at 12:14pm PDT
5. Bake Strategically: One of the easiest ways to avoid that midday shine is to bake. Typically, we would bake our under eye area, but for this look, to maintain our dewy finish you can simply set any under eye concealer with a light dusting of setting powder. However, as you do want your T-zone to be as oil-free as possible, you can bake for a few minutes on the center of your forehand, on your smile lines, and on the center of your chin. Once the time is up, sweep off the remaining powder with a loose brush. Check out our ultimate guide to baking here.
A post shared by Grace Ahn (@gracegraceahn) on Jul 20, 2018 at 9:22am PDT
6. Blush up: For your cheeks, dab a little pink-toned cream blush to the apples of your cheeks where you’d naturally be flushed. A cream blush is perfect as it’s subtle yet hydrating, so you’ll get that mewy finish.
7. Keep the lips in sync: To finish the look, opt for a satin finish lipstick. A creamy formula will be neither too glossy or too matte. Our new Demi Matte Cream Lipsticks are perfect for this look.
Through the day: To maintain that mewy finish all day long, we keep some blotting paper in our purse to keep oil at bay. With the humidity and the summer heat, sometimes you just can’t escape the shine!
Et voilà, you are a mewy goddess!